Welcome ! Forums One-to-one Demonstration Lesson

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 171 total)
  • Author
    admin
    Keymaster

The trainer introduces a few expressions used at the beginning of the presentation and then gets the learners to repeat them in order. Why does she do this? (500 words)

Yasamin Etemad
    Participant

She introduces small sentences and expressions in a logical order. She uses questions to elicit these expressions from the learner. She then asks the student to put these small sentences and expressions together to form longer sentences. Over the course of the lesson, these sentences add up to become a welcome speech that the student has put together himself, instead of being fed a long paragraph to memorise and repeat. This helps the learner break up the content, understand the meaning and reason for each sentence as well as learning alternatives to use for each expression, depending on the context. It also increases the LLL and minimises any confusion. By the end of the session, the learner has had lots of practice presenting these sentences together in the form of an introduction speech in various context and therefore more likely that he will remember what he has learnt today and will be able to use it in his work place.

Mario Rivabene
    Participant

PLEASE, CONSIDER THAT I DONT HAVE ANY REQUIRED PASSWORD.
    It means I only could imagine what happened in the video by reading the TRP extract used for the lesson in the video.
    I suppose the trainer had feeded, step by step, words and structures to introduce at the learner the context of the lesson without giving him, or her, the informations all together.
    This way to do can be really functional if we thinkthat is easier to practice with little words and then put all together to do a complete and complex sentence. In the production stage, the learner can express his capability of speaking doing it like with a puzzle, one piece at a time.

Funda Akkaya
    Participant

The trainer introduces short sentences and expressions; she has the learner elicit the expressions by asking the learner some questions. Then, the trainer has the learner practice welcoming and greeting the audience in different situations. In this way, the trainer consolidates the expressions and checks the pronunciation of the learner. The learner forms long sentences by using the expressions. The trainer gets the learner to repeat the expressions in order; in this way the learner forms welcome/ introduction speech for a presentation, and the trainer increases the student talking time and consolidates the expressions.

Gabriela González
    Participant

In this case we have the trainer introducing the target vocabulary for this class as we usually do. She proceeds to ask the learner some questions in order to feed vocabulary and know how much about the topic the learner knows and to get the ball rolling. After that the trainer asks the learner to repeat the expressions as a matte of practice and as a way to make sure the learner know the proper pronunciation, usage of the expressions and all this in onder to consolidate the knowledge. Also the trainer does this so the student gets some “real life” practice in different scenarios because sometimes students learn a word or an expression and they can use ir properly when in controlled practice but when it comes to a more realistic scenario they do it wrong, so this is a good way to ensurte learners are actually learning and using the words and expressions correctly in all possible scenariosn.

Patricia Warren
    Participant

Although I was unable to watch the video because my password did not work, I can see from the TRP extract that the trainer is introducing phrases/expressions and structures commonly used in giving a presentation. Specifically, the Key Points focus on welcoming and greeting an audience and the learner can focus on the types of presentations that he/she has to give in the workplace, in education settings or in social contexts. The learner is encouraged to consider the audience and how to refer to the members of the audience in a variety of settings.
    It is likely that trainers will first elicit known vocabulary/expressions and then feed unknown vocabulary/expressions, using techniques such as WH-questions and response/answer weaves. Learners will be exposed to formulaic expressions such as ‘It’s a pleasure’ and ‘I’m delighted that …’
    The trainer will endeavor, through PRACTICE and techniques, including repetition/chanting, to ensure that the pronunciation, stress and rhythm and intonation are CORRECT, and that the learners understand the meaning of the utterances.
    The learner is then given an opportunity to take on a role of a person welcoming people to his/her company. In addition to increasing LTT and encouraging him/her to PRODUCE the target language of welcoming people to an event, this is a useful activity to help him/her think about the structure of a presentation as he/she needs to imagine the aim of the presentation, who the members of the audience are, and where they come from etc.
    In the TRP, the oral session is followed by a listening activity during which the learner is required to analyse a presentation by answering seven questions. The listening activity acts as a spring board to further discussion in which the learner gives his/her own opinion on whether the speaker achieved the aims. The TRP includes what seems to be a language summary of words/expressions used in presentations. This probably occurred after five units. The other units are likely to progress through the remaining stages of a presentation, e.g. a brief overview, a clear structure with relevant content, a summary of the key points, a conclusion and a question and answer section.

Elmira Ahmadova
    Participant

As the other participants I wasn’t able to watch the video either.
    As far as I understand from the TRP, the trainer introduces those expressions in order to elicit the expressions that are used to greet people. Because it is mentioned in the TRP the purpose of introducing the theme of presentation is to encourage learners to relate to their own experience.
    Using local examples in order to personalize the topic is one of the techniques that is used in feeding stage. Those expressions can readily be used in the first stage of lesson to greet the learners. By doing this, the trainer showed the right place and time of using these expressions. The reason that she had them repeat was to practice.

michela meneghesso
    Participant

The trainer introduces short expressions that are to be used at the beginning of a presentation via eliciting and has the student repeat them in order. This is done to build a coherent and cohesive introduction of a hypothetical presentation and to help the learner remember the steps in the correct order. By having the student repeat the phrases multiple times and each time adding on a new one, the trainer creates a sort of pattern that will be engrained in the student’s mind.
    Repetition is key for this kind of activity, although it may appear silly or boring sometimes it can really help to consolidate and cement new pieces of knowledge.

Estefanía Torres
    Participant

I wasn’t able to watch the video, but, taking a look a the TRP I can tell that first, the trainer worked with the RS to engage the learner and, as we always do, to find out if the learner knew the target language, that was just the warm-up. Then, she started to ask questions to elicit or feed the phrases. As it is stated in the TRP, she should have practiced with the weaving box, adapting it to make it more like a controlled practice role play. After this, she continued asking questions, so she had another round of presentation and then again controlled practice, after that, the procedure was repeated a third time, eliciting, feeding, practicing. Then, she set the context for the production stage, here, she should have ensured that the learner used the target language. Maybe she exemplified it with the sample given. After all of this, she referred the learner to the listening activity for consolidation. Finally, the class ended with one last question, opening the production stage.

Lucas Craig
    Participant

I want to clarify that the video was blocked, but following the TRP I can follow the steps and gain some possible insight into what went on:
    the teacher used the resource sheets to start and engage with the student as means of warm-up, encouraging the student to speak while assessing their level, knowledge etc.
    Then she could continue by asking questions to elicit and/or feed the phrases afterwards.
    As the TRP shows, the teacher used the weaving box, and adapted it for some roole playing, in acontrolled practice probably.
    Finally, the process is more or less repeated, controlled practice here, eliciting, feeding and then practice. The teacher would set the stage/situation/context for the production stage, to check and ensure that the student has actually learnt and knows the structure, vocabulary, etc. of the TL
    The teacher can refer to the listening activity for a final step in consolidation.

Paloma Piqueras Lis
    Participant

In my opinion, the trainer performs this practice, since in the first place he prefers to observe what vocabulary and what knowledge the students have in the first place. Later the trainer wants the students to repeat these words and expressions to check the pronunciation. They also carry out this practice to put the students in a situation, that is, to observe that they use these expressions of the target language correctly in possible real situations, since they are not always pronounced or used in the appropriate way.

Sinead O’Brien
    Participant

In my opinion the trainer introduces a few expressions at the beginning of the presentation and gets the learner to repeat in way of starting a warm up and getting the student involved right away. This is a nice introduction that allows the student to feel comfortable start speaking right way without too much pressure. This process is also a great way to ease into other activities. This technique encourages the student to speak. After this it is great to ask questions, elicit or fee phrases. Then it transfers easy to the next part of weaving and role plays. The lesson then continues as a controlled lesson and ensures that the learner has a good understanding of the target language.

Gabrielle Gold
    Participant

The trainer does this to elicit target language with the learner, and also to familiarise the learner with the learner. Its a technique to further introduce the learner to the topic, gets the learner to be involved right from the beginning, and prepare them for what type of language is expected during this session.
    When she makes the learner repeat in order is to stimulate memory, which can make it more difficult to forget. Her method also encourages the learner to speak more.
    Building a foundation at the beginning of the class will help the trainer lead easily into the next stage which could be role-plays, and statement and response.

Lara Singery
    Participant

Unfortunately, I was not able to open the video. I tried the password but to no avail. However based on the TRP, I am sure I’ll be able to present some information relating to the question.

It is essential to use a few expressions in the beginning so that the student can encompass the order accordingly as they increase. I also believe that fewer expressions, in the beginning, provide the student with an understanding in terms of how they are expressed by simply hearing e.g. emphasize on words, politeness, etc.

Typically, repetition is a key learning aid because it helps transition a skill from the conscious to the subconscious. Through repetition, a skill is practiced and rehearsed over time and gradually becomes easier. … Another important factor in learning is the ability to make connections to previously learned knowledge.
    As the trainer elicits, she helps to develop a learner-centered classroom and a stimulating environment, while making learning memorable by linking new and old information.

Yolmi Bermúdez
    Participant

I was not able to watch the video, however I think the trainer did it that way to make students memorize and internalize the different expressions to use during a speech. This vocabulary is wide and good enough to use in both, formal and informal ways. The technique of repeating is essencial for memorizing pronunciation and later using them in sentences will make the learners feel comfortable and confident when producing in the language.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 171 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.